Monday, April 20, 2015

Weirdest experience // Best experience‏

Okay, so I'm officially in week 6 of my first transfer. And we get transfer calls this friday to find out who's staying/leaving! IS THIS REAL LIFE?! I can't even believe how fast time is flying! Probably because this truly is the best place/experience/time of my life. It's hard and exhausting, but amazing.
So, on to what happened this week! First, we had exchanges with the STL. So got to go to Napa one of the days and spend it with Hermana Pulley in her area, which was super fun. I love napa! I mean, obviously sonoma is better, but napa is super gorgeous. So another day I stayed here and Hermana Navarro, the STL, came to train me. So I had to lead out my area, which basically means I was in charge and it was super scary. But we survived! Also I got to be the driver, which was super fun. And Hermana Navarro is so amazing, I learned a ton from her. Definitely a great experience. 
In addition to that, we had a ton of other great things happen. I had my weirdest experience yet and my best experience yet. So first, I'll tell you about the weirdest one. So sometimes, we get stuck talking to old people who have no friends and never get out so when we talk to them, they just go. Forever. And ever. And no matter how hard we try to tie in the gospel or end the conversation or walk away, we just can't. So when we were volunteering at the garden this week, some 93 year old man walked up to us and squeezed our arms. He kinda caught us both off guard so then he apologized to us, we said it was fine, and that's when he just started talking and didn't stop for the next 30-40 minutes. Oh also, his dentures moved up and down when he talked and he spit constantly, so we were nice and wet by the end of that conversation! Anyways, he went on about the wars and the plants and the churches and the animals and the body and who knows what else, but the best part was when he got talking about the body. He was explaining to us how we need to exercise, because apparently we are very weak and he is very strong. So then he started demonstrating for us, and he dropped to the ground in the pile of rocks we were standing on and started doing a mixture of push-ups/cobra/downward-dog (remember this man is 93-he even told us!). This might not sound that funny, but at that point I just lost it. Then to cover up my laughing I tried to tell him we had to leave but we wanted to share a pamphlet with him, and he smacked it to the ground and said "I don't need that nonsense." So we told him to have a great day and that was that. Hahaha I can't put into words how hilarious this man was.
Anyways, on to the best experience yet. So we knocked on this door and a guy answered and immediately asked for help with his homework for his online class. It was on excel, which Hermana Nimmer said she knows nothing about, so she told him I could help and walked away to talk to a guy down the hall. So after I helped him, he got talking about books and I told him about the Book of Mormon. Then he walks over to his desk and picks one up! He said the missionaries taught him 30 years ago in El Salvador and he still reads sometimes. At this point Hermana Nimmer was still talking to people and I was alone trying to teach a lesson in spanish and I thought I was going to die, but then by some miracle I was able to understand everything he said and tell him everything I wanted to say. I asked him to read a scripture, and as he was reading it he started to cry and said "I'm sorry, but I can just feel the spirit that I see in you right now. I can feel the Holy Ghost, and it's been a long time." Of course that made me cry, so then I tried to testify to him through my tears and although it was embarrassing and slightly awkward, it was an incredible experience that I will never forget. That was definitely my favorite miracle of the week.
Okay, so I have a few random thoughts that I wanted to share and since I can't construct a smooth, well-written email to save my life, I think I'll just list them for you. Sorry for my awkwardness.
1. Relief society. Okay, if any of you people in Utah think relief society is bad (like I did), try coming here! All the young people and the older but still fun people are in primary or young womens so it is truly only the boring half of the old ladies here. Oh, and sister nimmer and I. It's great fun. Also, they don't really like us, I don't know why.
2. I heard Utah got snow this week... I'm so jealous! I miss the cold more than anything. I also miss swig. Please go to swig for me this week.
3.The word HAM has been banned from our mission. I'm probably a terrible person and shouldn't be admitting this but I think that is hilarious and wanted to share.
4. For any of you who have/are/will use the paper areabook in your mission, I respect you so much! I don't know how you do it. Us ipad missionaries have it so easy. Seriously. I mean, the mission is still the hardest thing I have ever done, don't get me wrong, but having an ipad is one of the most convenient things ever. 
5. Zayn left one direction and I'm still on my mission living a normal life. Miracle? yes. God truly does bless you if you're doing what he asks of you!
6. I have to apologize to all of you that my emails every week aren't as spiritual as they could be. I just enjoy sharing my experiences/thoughts with all of you, so please forgive me! I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Love, Hermana Suzanna Lewis


 Here's me with the giant beans we harvested at the garden this week!




0 comments:

Post a Comment