Monday, September 21, 2015

"I don't wanna be catholic"‏

First off, I'm sure many of you have heard about the fires coming back and all the damage that has been done. I know there's a lot of relief efforts and that all the missionaries in those areas have been safely moved somewhere else, but we did have a set of sisters get emergency evacuated last week, and now their apartment and pretty much their entire area have been burned to the ground. So, it would be greatly appreciated if you could keep all those who have been affected by the fires in your prayers! Thanks, you all are great :)

On a happier note, we had my absolute favorite experience this transfer happen the other day, so I have to share! My companion and I were contacting, and she just says "you know what I want? I want someone to come up to me and say 'I don't wanna be catholic anymore' but that just doesn't happen with hispanics in northern california." We kind of laughed about it and moved on, but then fast forward to that night. We had an appointment that fell through, and we started talking to their neighbors across the street. She told us she's catholic and wasn't interested, just like usual, we invited her to our church and gave her our number. We got in the car and were looking up an address when she knocked on our window. So, we rolled it down, and she said "on second thought, I honestly don't even like being catholic. I want to hear what you have to say." We were so shocked, we couldn't help but laugh as we followed her into the house. We had a great lesson with her and taught her about the restoration, and she invited us back! She still seemed a bit skeptical, so we'll see what happens there, but we were just grateful for the fact that God granted our random little wish.

Another funny experience we had this week that just reaffirmed to me that God is looking out for us, was when we lost our car. So, we had a lesson one night in the ghetto part of Dixon, but after we were contacting on that street and planning to just spend the rest of the night there. It was about 8:30 and we both just felt like we should go back to the car and go somewhere else. So, we went back. But the car wasn't there. We looked and looked and couldn't find it, and eventually started to think it had been stolen or something. Well, by 9:00, sure enough, we found it! As embarrasing as that experience is, I was so grateful we felt the need to head back to the car so early, because who knows how dark and late it would have been when we found it or not! God is amazing, you guys. Really.

Well, other than that, we had stake conference this weekend which I loved. The stake president invited us to the priesthood leadership meeting as well, which is probably the first and last priesthood meeting I'll ever go to which was cool! As soon as we walked in, everyone was staring at us and I don't know if I've ever felt more uncomfortable, but it was worth it cause we really did learn a lot in that meeting. One thing our stake president said that really stuck with me was "we need to be FEARLESS in builing Zion. Don't be afraid to invite!" So, with that, I want to invite all of you to share the gospel with someone! That doesn't mean you have to send the missionaries over or force them to church (although those are both great things!), it just means share it. It can be in the simplest way, just introduce the gospel to someone! And I know most of you live in Utah, so it might seem impossible, but I bet you could find a facebook friend or a distant relative or someone who needs the gospel. And if you're not a member, go check out mormon.org today :)

I love you all and I am so grateful for all your love and support. Have a lovely week!

Love, Hermana Lewis

Pictures:
1. Me and Juanito! He was my trainer's (Hermana Nimmer) 3-week miracle baptism and he is the sweetest little blind man and I just love him. I went on exchanges to woodland this week, so I had the pleasure of meeting him!
2. Okay. Haha I am extremely embarrassed to send this home but the story is worth it. Whenever I go on exchanges to the spanish branch, we all have contests at dinner to see who can eat the hottest pepper without crying. Last time I cried like a baby, so this time I came prepared and I ate one of the super hot ones and didn't shed a tear! I was so proud of myself. Well, on our way home that night, I itched my eyes without knowing I still had pepper juice or something on them. Yeah... I cried. My eyes aren't quite as bloodshot as they were before though in the picture haha
3. My companion and I with Sister Kelly, the sweetest member who will do anything for us 
4. Me and the andersens! this family is the craziest one i've ever met, but we love them for it. Yes, that's the mom trying to eat one of their 14 dogs they have. his face kills me!






0 comments:

Post a Comment