Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Becoming Abinadiac?‏

Becoming Abinadiac?
So, I know "Abinadiac" isn't a word.... But for today I've decided to
make it a word because that's what I want to be. This week in the Book
of Mormon, I've been reading in Mosiah about the story of Abinadi.
He's always been such an example to me, but this time around it just
really hit me. Here he is, teaching the words of the Lord and calling
the people to repentance like he has been commanded to do, and the
people are just not having it. They go so far as to try to kill him,
but of course the Lord is like "nice try, but he's got more work to
do" and he delivers Abinadi out of their hands. So then later, Abinadi
comes back in disguise and essentially just fearlessly throws down on
these people. He explains to them that they are not keeping the
commandments of the Lord, and then he starts to teach the Ten
Commandments. Well, this gets the king ticked off and he commands that
Abinadi be put to death. But yet again, he was not yet finished with
his mission the Lord had for him, so he delivers him out of their
hands again and he continues to teach the Ten Commandments. (Actually,
this part is really cool cause Adinadi tells them "Touch me not, for
God shall smite you if ye lay your hands upon me, for I have not
delivered the message which the Lord sent me to deliver.... But I
finish my message; and then it matters not whither I go, if it so be
that I am saved.") He teaches of the atonement and the plan of
salvation and testifies of our redeemer. When he had accomplished all
the Lord required of him, sadly, King Noah sentenced him to death by
fire.
Now, I know what some of you are probably thinking, "why would that be
your favorite story? Where's the good part? What about the happy
ending?" Well, here's the good part, or the happy ending: never once
did Abinadi falter. He stayed completely true to the Lord and was
obedient to the very end in doing what the Lord had commanded him to
do. He didn't care what happened to him after that, but in the end
what really does it matter? I can't even imagine how great his
blessings in the life to come will be. And that's why it's my favorite
story. As I've been reading his story this time around, I've just had
such a strong desire to become more like him- to fearlessly teach the
gospel, to love the Lord and his children enough to boldly call them
to repentance, and trust in him to the point that I'd be willing to
suffer even death for doing what he has asked of me. Hence why I'm
trying to become "Abinadiac."
To be honest, that was only going to be a side note of my email this
week, but I guess I just get too into that story, haha. But anyways, I
guess I don't really have much else to say today. It's been a good
week, we found a lot of new investigators and my companion and I are
having a great time- I think I'm finally learning how to speak
Spanish! But anyways, if you've made it to this point, I congratulate
you on making it through my tangent on Abinadi. It looks like you're
the true and faithful ones! Haha kidding, but anyways, I hope you all
have ahnh wonderful week :)  
Love, 
Hermana Lewis  
Sorry, for pictures this week all I have is a beautiful pano of the
view from the hospital


0 comments:

Post a Comment